Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mardi Gras 5k

My friend, Carol, and I had been talking back and forth about attempting a 5K to get back on track. So after much discussion and a deadline for a discount on the registration we registered a few weeks ago. I had plans of "training" but did't quite get around to it. I have been attending regularly two different classes (Step and Sculpt on Mondays and Body Conditioning on Wednesdays) for a while, so I have felt less guilty about not running...oh, who am I kidding...I just have avoided running a ton.

So, I met Carol Saturday morning, we drove to the race early because I hadn't picked up my bib and shirt and got there about 7:15a. The great thing about 7:15a is a great parking spot, but the bad thing is that there is another hour plus before starting. The wind was horrible and it was about 45 degrees. Usually 45 degrees is actually my favorite racing temp, but the wind was a beating.

Carol started the race with me and we attempted 60 sec run/walk intervals. For the most part we stayed with that other than the occasional blood sugar test (boy, do they drop when I run more than I've ran in the past year).

She is a lot faster than me, but I was amazed at how I was able to keep up (even though she definitely was slowing down for me). And the most amazing thing to me was the fact that I PRed at 40:35 which is a 13:03 mile/min pace at this race and hadn't ran for over a year...other than the HnH 10K last year in May.

Considering I got a PR and hadn't trained all I can think about is what would I be able to do if I trained. I really want to train, but my motivation to start is just not there. We'll see...
I haven't picked a goal, but I really think I need to. I need to make some commitments and plans or it won't happen. I think if I sign up to volunteer I might be able to get there early enough to beat the parking mess from last year. I'm torn between the 5K and 10K. I hate to invest that much in a 5K, but I'm not sure I want to run a 10K. Ugh...oh, well, I also thought about trying to sign up for a 5K every month. March is done, now for April.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck with your race a month! Have you thought about virtual races? They can cut the cost. I have a list of a few on my blog, One's a 10k. (side note:) If you're ever looking for a guest blogger I'm your gal! Check out my blog and follow me back! Cheers!
- Liz