Saturday, January 9, 2010

W1D1 of Couch to 10 Mile

Well....I not only did it...but I liked it!!!

14 degrees
7:00 a.m.
Crowded Parking
Empty Paths at White Rock Lake

I had a blast! I knew it was going to be cold, and I wore my coat (which I bought years ago for snowboarding...which I never did). I had a 41 blood sugar at 2 a.m., so I had to wake up and eat, eat, eat. Then my blood sugar was 313 when I woke up...usual after a super high. My sensor was on day 8 or 9 (they really are only designed to officially last 3 days...so they lose their effectiveness). But I got up and I showed up!!!

I just love that my blog is titled, "Just Show Up" and the emphasis Chris (one of the training directors) has put on 95% of the battle is "Just Showin' Up." I showed up and learned some new things today...and was reminded of some things I know.

Amanda and LK reminded us to keep our form upright and looking ahead. That is so true. When I am upright and facing forward I run/walk faster and more effectively. They reminded us to stay right, not go wider than two by two on the trail, and kept us encouraged.

We had a 10/10/10 walk/run/walk that they said was really more of a walk/do the best you can do to try harder/walk. They encouraged us to not focus on speed, that speed would come later in the training. They talked about us needing just do the best we can do. At 15 minutes, we were going to turn around and head back (half way into the run). This technique helped as the faster ones were then at the back, and the slower ones were at the front. I think mentally that helped everyone.

I found myself comparing and looking around a lot before, after, and during. A few times I've been asked, "Are you sure you are in the right group? You say you've done some running." What I always clarify is that I have ran, but like 30 seconds, or 2 minutes or just in the past few weeks 5 minutes and on Wednesday a crazy 8 minutes (of which I thought I was going to die). So, that said, I am convinced this is the perfect group for me. I truly have no earthly comprehension of me being able to run 10 miles some day, much less anything over about 1, but they say, if we keep showing up...it will happen.

I found that I wasn't the largest or the smallest runner out there...I wasn't the fastest or the slowest runner out there. I was one of many, in the middle, a part of a community, and just Jennifer. Rarely in my life am I "just Jennifer". I am often teacher, mom, leader, director, wife, mentor, sponsor, church friend, you name it, but rarely am I "just Jennifer." And out there, I was "just Jennifer". Years ago, I found out that my love language is quality time. I love, love, love to spend time with people, and I don't care if we are digging doo-doo, I love spending time with them. I kind of like bragging rights, the feeling of accomplishments, setting and making goals, but really in the end....I only do this because I LOVE quality time. Until today, I have done a lot of this journey alone. But I am still on a high from the energy out there.

There is not one single thing physically different when I run alone versus with others. My feet aren't different, my lungs, my muscles...in fact, today my blood sugar was a little wacky, my body was cold, and I was able to run for longer...a full 10 minutes...than I have ever, ever ran that I have any memory of in my entire 35 years. I know several people who say they ran in high school or college. Not me, my friends...this is it...this is my journey.

Stats
7:00 a.m.
DRC Couch Group
14 degrees/??? wind chill
White Rock Lake
Icey Bridges/Frozen water fountains
10/10/10 W/R/W
00:30:58
15:36/mi
1.99 mi
318 cal

Week Plan
Sun - 30 min Pilates/Weights
Mon - rest
Tue - 35 min walk
Wed - 9/12/9
Thu - 10/10/10
Fri - rest
Sat - 8/14/8

No comments: