Sunday, October 11, 2009

Marking the Course

I have 7 Sundays (including today) between now and Thanksgiving when my sister and I are going to do the 8 Mile Turkey Trot. And my definitely achievable goal is to finish in a pace under 15:30 min/mile, but would love to see myself finish with a pace under 15:00 min/mile. That would be under 2 hours exactly or 4.0 mph. For my training, instead of increasing mileage each week (because mileage isn't the challenge this time), I have decided to walk the same 6 miles each week and work on improving my time.

According to www.mapmyrun.com my course I planned is 2.96 miles out, so I think that will probably land me right around 6 miles round trip given the crossing streets, avoiding sprinklers, etc. So today's goal was to "mark the course." I designated two spots on the way to the end to use as landmarks or points of reference. According to the map, they are close to miles 1 and 2, but I thought really if I use the same spot every time, then it will be me just working against my own times regardless of the exactness of the mileage. I am pretty sure that Part A is right at a mile, but I may have marked Part B a little short and Part C a little long, but really again, comparing apples to apples.

I was having a tough time getting up the movitation to go today since it was so warm inside and about 57 degrees outside. I thought I might be too cold, but by mile 2 I was just right. This weather is awesome for walking. And as always, the whole time, I thought, "why do I resist what feels so good?"

So here are my times:

Part A Out - 15:43.4
Part B Out - 15:03.1
Part C Out - 16:00.3
First Half Total - 46:47

Part C In - 16:04.3
Part B In - 14:26.6
Part A In - 15:03.2
Second Half Total - 45:34

Difference -
2C was 4 seconds slower
2B was 27 seconds faster
2A was 40 seconds faster
2nd half was 13 seconds faster

Total time - 1:32:21
Pace - 15:23 min/mile
Temperature - 57 degrees, overcast

No comments: