Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Gary Burns 5K - Got a PR by 4 minutes, 4 seconds

Saturday, October 31st competed in the Gary Burns 5K finishing at 44:39.00 for a new PR (Personal Record). Previous PR for a 5k was 48:43.1 in August at the H&H 5K. So, I beat it by 4 minutes and 4 seconds. That is actually a big difference and over a minute a mile improvement. I did also run a big part. This race had some good and bad things about it. There were a TON of non-runners/walkers, which has it's pros and cons.

"Pros" were that I was way ahead of a lot of them, it was rather crowded so it wasn't a lonely race at all, and I was definitely closer to the front (or rather farther from the back) of the groups of participants.

"Cons" were that they were ALL OVER THE ROAD. They didn't know to stay in a straight line as much as possible. I would probably estimate that over 75% were actually high school students, so therefore, they were hugging arms, walking hand in hand, and cheating at every turn they could get away with cutting. So, I definitely had to be aware of my surroundings more. There also were no water stops worth stopping at, and there were no mile markers, which made pacing tough. The good thing is though, I think I thought I was farther behind in my pace so that sped me up.

But given all the pros and cons, I definitely enjoyed being on the path as an experienced walker more than being at the almost dead last like in the Tour De Fleurs. The weather was beautiful, about 48 degrees at the start of the day warming to around 52, I think by the end of the race.

At about mile 3, I ditched my fanny pack with my mom and Izzy and ran three different parts of the last part of the course. Izzy ran the last .1 mile with me and definitely helped me charge in at the end. I kept minimizing the improvement, but really 4 minutes is a big cut off of a 5K, so I'll take it. But my next step is definitely wanting to bring more jogging in each mile. Now to coordinate my phanny pack to jog.

Afterwards, Izzy and I (and Briaunna) headed to cheer with the Heels and Hills team at the DRC Half. That was a blast.

June 28 - H&H 5K - 48:43.1 - pace: 15:43/m
October 31 - Frisco ISD Gary Burns 5K - 44:39:00 - pace: 14:22/m

No comments: