Monday, November 16, 2009

What is my goal?


Subject: What is my goal?

Tonight I set out to start a 10 day streak of doing 4 miles a day until Thanksgiving. I couldn't decide today between a big 4 mile loop, two times a 2 mile loop, or 4 times a 1 mile loop. I decided on 2 times of a two mile loop, and I had planned on running .25 then walk .75 mile. Well, that first .25 wore... me... out!!! So mile 1 was ok but tiring. As I reached mile 2 I only made it jogging .1 mile before my shins were killing me so I walked. And that's when I hit some kind of mental block. I was miserable. I made it back to near Isabelle's school, and almost talked myself into stopping at 2 miles. Then I thought "what if I do the next 2 miles and walk as slow as I want?" Sure enough I ended up walking at a decent pace and mile 3 was tough. But as I reached the end of the third mile (technically 2.9) I thought why not try to run .1 until I reach 3 (ending mile 3). So I did and realized that if I ran a little faster I didn't hurt so much. I did the
same thing at 3.9 miles to finish well.

I also used the Garmin for the first time. Love and hate the pace alert. Set it at 17:00/mi pace and some times just listened to it beep.

Here are my laps:

Warmup - 3:35 min:sec; .22 mi; 16:29/mi avg pace

Mile 1 - 14:21
Mile 2 - 16:27
Mile 3 - 15:53
Mile 4 - 16:50
Cool down - 18:41/mi pace; .23 mi in 4:29

Total time 1:07:59
Total distance 4.24 mi
Average pace 16:02/mi
Max pace 9:17/mi

So I'm still not sure - what's my goal? To do 4 miles a day with no concern of pace? Or improve on time?

Either way. Learned I need a route 2 miles away then back. I can't loop as it's too tempting to quit.

No comments: