Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Did I tell you I finished my first 10k?

I keep telling everyone that I completed a 10K. We make fun of people who do that all the time, "Did I tell you I did a 10K?" or "Oh, yeah, and after I did my 10K." or "Yep that was the week before my 10K." It's like the kid with a new boyfriend or girlfriend, or the first time I could use the word husband - I just couldn't stop slipping it into every conversation. Well, it's official...I just completed my first 10K this past weekend, and I don't mind telling the world. :)

The weather was beautiful. Warm, but for July, it was great. We had an even cloud cover all morning, and that was a true gift, because the sun would have been horrible. I started off with Dina and Brandie (and lil D), but after about .5 miles felt warmed up enough to break off. They were doing a 5K, and I have about 5.5 more miles to go, so I knew I needed to go. I so enjoyed walking with them, and talking though. But off I went. Reportedly, D kept asking, where's Miss Jenn. I saw a pack of walkers in our same area, and I figured they were with the 5K. So I had resolved myself to finishing last.

Mile 2 is always the worst mile for me. Tuesdays are the hardest days. And the second time around is always my most difficult mental hurdle. Mile 1 or Mondays, it's like "I can do this, yes, alright, here we go." Mile 2 or Tuesdays, the end is no where in sight, we are too far past the start to turn back around or still feel energized about just starting, and what's in front of us seems insurmountable. I felt like I barely made it through mile 2. And I forgot to set my watch as we started, so I had no idea about my pace. Which I actually learned and am going to probably continue waiting until mile 2 to start my watch, ended up being a benefit rather than a detriment.

My mile 1 and 2 paces probably would have discouraged me and then even slowed me down more, so I started my watch at the mile 2 marker. I have figured out how to push the button to mark the laps on my watch, but for the life of me can't figure out how to read that information after my race is done. But one of my favorite mental games to pass the time during walks is for me to do the math in my head. So I kept tracking my pace in my head.

Mile 3 I could see the end of the 5K and was feeling pretty good, so I started to feel good about it all. I think the turnaround was somewhere in mile 4, so that lifted me through that part. And then there was this lady running around mile 5. She looked like she was dying. She had on long cotton legging stretch pant looking things, a poofy blouse, and looked like it was her first time to run ever. She kept running and then walking, and I eventually caught up with her. I am amazed how at every race I end up passing those runners at the end, which for me is just confirmation that I am doing exactly what I need to be doing...walking.

I talked to her a little as we met the same pace at the end of mile 6 nearing the end, and encouraging her really helped me feel so encouraged. It was her first race ever and she signed up for the 10K. That's crazy, but I was glad to encourage her.

My time for my 10K beat my pace time for the 5K which surprised me. I figured with a longer distance, I'd see a slower time, but glad for it. And I beat that pack of walkers. I was glad to see other walkers involved in the longer distance.

Lesson for the day: Mile 2 just sucks, that's all, it just does, and acknowledging that will make it easier. I finished my first 10K!!!! Thank you God for the clouds. Walking for me is much faster than run/walking. JUST SHOW UP!!!!

Temp: 78 degrees, covered skies
Distance: 6.2 miles
Time: 1:37:00.0
Pace: 15:37/m
MPH: 3.84
10K estimate: n/a
Half estimate: 3h 25.2m
Place: 21 out of 25 (16% percent)

2 comments:

Holly said...

I can totally identify with your first paragraph! After I did my first half, it was so weird to go back to the real world. And even when you do tell them, people look at you like you're an alien. When you tell someone...I run 8-9 miles every weekend...they just don't know what to say. That's why making active friends is important - they will validate you, encourage you, and inspire you with their choices.

Issysmommy said...

Awww...Holly, you are such an encouragement to me!!!