Friday, July 24, 2009

Negative Splits

Negative Split-The term "negative splitting" refers to running the second half of a race faster than the first. So, for instance, if you're running a marathon and you run the first 13.1 miles in 2:01:46, and then run the second 13.1 miles in 1:59:30, then you ran a negative split.

The other day, I read on one of the Heels and Hills Heroes (as I like to call them...the two ladies who are co-directors of H&H and quite the inspirations) facebook update that she had a negative split. I asked her what it meant and she explained it to me. I had heard about this method a lot, but didn't know it had a term. Oh, I am learning so much every day. But at the H&H 5K in June when I got my PR (Personal Record...another new term for me) of 48:43.1 for a pace of 15:43/m I forced myself to walk slower than I was wanting to, because I clearly remember doing a 5K last July in McKinney where I was super fast in the beginning and barely finished walking at all. So, I know from experience that walking slower in the beginning produces better results in the end. I told myself at the H&H 5K in June that I wasn't going to push it until after the half way point.

Well, today, I was at about 10:00 in my first half mile (ikes that is like a 20:00/m pace), but I have been waiting to stretch until I get to the end of my street which is like about .3 of a mile from my house. And really taking the first part slowly. Then at the half way point, which was 1.99 miles, I was at 35:00. So my goal was to finish the entire 3.98 miles in under 1h10m (or under 70 minutes) hence making it a "negative split." And I did finish up right at 67:38...just about 2.5 minutes faster on the second half.

Lesson for the day: Take it slow at the first part hence producing a negative split, waking up before the sun comes up makes for beautiful scenery, Shi-Tzu's are just as scary as big dogs and my neighbor down the street needs to keep him on a leash, And...Just Show Up!!!

Temp: 72 degrees, clear skies
Distance: 3.98 miles
Time: 67:38
Split: 35:03 (1st half way) - 52%
Pace: 16:59.4
MPH: 3.53
Place: 71 out of 77 (8%)
10K estimate: 2h 6m 36s
Half estimate: 3h 43m

No comments: