Wednesday, July 22, 2009

100 Miles of Walking

I keep wanting to complain about the weather, but for the most part, we have had wonderful weather this summer. I say that right now as I finished my walk in what started out at 68 degrees. It was absolutely gorgeous, and as I approach Fall if I am able to get out in this heat, I know I am going to really seem some time improvement in the Fall.

My blog name, "Just Showed Up" is so perfect for me. This morning at 6:30a as I wanted to stay in bed, the mantra "Just Show Up" kept going through my mind. Just get out of bed, Jennifer, put your shoes on and at least walk a mile. Well, finished at 3.52 miles with 59:10. Pretty decent for me. It broke under 17 minutes for a pace of 16:48.5 minutes per mile. My usual pace seems to sit around 18 minutes on a decent day and as slow as 20 on a super slow day. I was happy to see that time. I have been working through some mental hurdles and this walk really was just what I needed.

I started out on my regular 4 mile stretch, but the sprinklers started, I was getting irritated at the City of McKinney for having no sidewalk at the corner of Wilmeth and Hardin, and was already getting a little bored with just trekking (sp?) back from my turn around point. So, I took a bit of a detour to make sure I could have sidewalks the rest of the walk, but ended up only getting in 3.52 rather than the planned 4. But I did kick my speed up a little.

And how about that weather this morning...it was gorgeous. I thought gosh, I am so glad I "Just Showed Up" this morning.

Well, Issy's getting braces this morning, and I need to get in the shower to not stink in their office. Never thought I would love being sweaty, but when I finish my walks, it just seems to be part of the "I did it" ritual. I don't think the orthodontist will quite enjoy the smell of accomplishment oozing from my poars as I do.

Almost totally forgot to add...I reached 100 miles (101.5 to be exact) since starting this thing on May 24th. Uh, that is probably 99 more miles than I walked for the past 5 years to exercise and also tracked 1911 minutes (that is like 30-something hours). That is crazy...and even crazier is that I have done this for 8+ weeks. I never stick with ANYTHING like this...I am so grateful I have stuck with this. One Mile at a Time. :)

Lesson for the day: When you see a guy working on the sprinklers cut across to the other side of the street (got a little sprayed). Oh, and map out a few 4 mile routes in case I change my mind ahead of time. And...Just Show Up!!!

Temp: 68 degrees, clear skies
Distance: 3.52 miles
Time: 59:10
Pace: 16:48.5
MPH: 3.57
10K estimate: 2h 5m 24s
Half estimate: 3h 38m

No comments: