Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Loop

For the longest time I have been complaining about my neighborhood and how the sidewalks don't go much farther beyond our small subdivision, and the view isn't so great, and it is hard to get in more than about a mile. Well, I slept late this morning, and then committed to doing my 4 miles this evening. As the storms rolled in I wasn't sure if it was going to happen, but sure enough they left by about 7pm-something. We had dinner with our Life Group leaders at Panda's Chinese Buffet, which is so not a place I like to eat...just about anything worth eating is covered in sugar (and I don't eat sugar as a main ingredient) and what isn't covered in sugar is fried, and don't even get me started on the health department's rating of them. But the time together was wonderful, and we really enjoyed talking with them.

By the time we got home, I needed to get dressed in my oh so cute "mom shorts" that probably ride up my butt, my oh so cool PHanny pack (spelled with a PH cause it's so PHAT), and my super cool tight tech top. I just love how every bit of fashion sense goes out the window all for the sake of practicality and convenience when it comes to exercise. I am a practical girl deep down inside, but like to flare my pink here and there.

So, back to the neighborhood...while I like to complain about it and the poor long distances, I did find that there is a hidden jewel about my neighborhood that I think will work to my benefit in months and years to come...it is E.X.A.C.T.L.Y. 1.zero, zero miles around the outside of it according to mapmyrun.com. I am going to track it with my gps some time also for comparison. But it worked really well for me to look at my splits and at my mile rate. It also worked well for a late night, dark, moon lit, walk. And I think that 4 loops will be great in the future when I just need to fit it in. I was also able to bring Isabelle along for loop 1, she stayed for a bathroom break for loop 2, and joined back up for loops 3 and 4. She is such an awesome encourager. The entire time, (on her bike) she just kept going on and on about how proud she was of me. I just love that kiddo so much!!!

In my approaching 8 weeks I am trying out a small, medium, large or slow, medium, fast approach to my training. I generally train 4 days a week, either Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and then Sunday or Monday, Wednesday, Friday and then Sunday. But on day 1 (Mon or Tue) I am doing a slow, just get it done pace, similar to a stroll in a mall. I think I already blogged about this, but oh, well. Day 2, I am trying for a 10 min brisk, 10 min stroll rotation. Tonight, I did that and found I really enjoyed it. Then on Day 3 a 5 min "super duper fast as I can walk" pace, and then 5 minute "catch my breath" pace. And on Day 4 (usually Sundays) long distance...and just gettin' it done.

Well, these loops helped with my 10s rotation. So here are my splits:

Mile 1: 17:50
Mile 2: 17:02
Mile 3: 17:36
Mile 4: 17:06

I had to slow down a bit in mile 3 because my blood sugar got a little low at 77 and had to eat some "organic energy chews". Testing those out to see that I can handle the Tapioca Syrup and Cane juice without it jacking my blood sugars up too high and also making sure it doesn't trigger my sugar addiction. It seemed to work well, and I was happy about it not upsetting my stomach.

I also found that after mile 2 loop it helped to go the other direction and change it up a bit (a little different of a view).

Wanted to also add my new bio on the H&H Lucky 13 Bio Page....this is still sooooo crazy for me!!!! I can't believe I AM ON A RACE TEAM!!!! I keep mentioning to Paula and Libby that I am somewhat embarrassed about my "story" and where I am on my journey, but they both have reassured me that everyone starts somewhere and there there are "millions" of women who need to hear the story about starting "where you are" not some unachievable "where you want to be" place. I can't help but embrace the fact that I believe with every ounce of my being that God placed me in the path of H&H and H&H in my path. I am not going to give power one more time to those self-defeating thoughts that I am in an embarrassing place on this journey. Starting now, I will embrace, celebrate, appreciate, and encourage from where I am, not where I was, not where I want to be, but WHERE I AM!!!

http://www.heelsandhills.com/Social_Life/Run_Team_2009_bios.html#Jennifer_Elvington

Jennifer is a newer walker who got started in an effort to lead a healthier life and manage her diabetes and will be completing her first half marathon at the Heels and Hills and Him Half Marathon on September 27.

Jennifer has had Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes since the age of 11, and in the 23 years since that diagnosis, has had not one complication. However, after having her daughter 8 years ago, she found that she was consistently gaining about 5 pounds a year. In her words: “A little extra take out here, less exercise there, and some life in between.” So, on top of the Type 1 (which is the juvenile, insulin requiring kind) Diabetes, she slowly developed a form of Type II Diabetes (where your body can't process the insulin). So her body not only isn’t producing insulin but now it struggles to process the insulin taken with her insulin pump.

Her doctor insisted on an exercise routine during her last visit - something 3-4 days a week for more than 30 minutes. She had joined expensive gyms, signed up with costly trainers, joined Biggest Loser competitions, and tried it all, but recently a friend of hers, fellow Run Team member Brandie, mentioned signing up to walk the Heels and Hills and Him Marathon.

Jennifer had walked and even partly ran some 5Ks in the past, but she thought there was no way she could complete a half marathon. She and her friend did some research and developed a walking plan that would work in with their lifestyles. As of August 1, Jennifer is 8 weeks into the plan – she has stuck with it! She finished the most recent H&H June 5K with a new personal record of 49:43. And Jennifer says, “My blood sugars and my diabetes are better than ever!”

Jennifer is a great addition to the run team, with these words from her run team application: “I am absolutely in love with the core vision of H&H - staying active in a fun and unintimidating atmosphere, with your personality, warmness, and positive attitude! I feel like I was the recipient of that at the past 5K. I participated in another 5K last year near my home and felt so intimidated and out of place. Feeling that way at the previous one made me not want to do another. While I finished 71 out of 77 last weekend, I felt so encouraged in just finishing!

I hope to be an encouragement that walking is a great place to start when striving to learn how to make being active a part of your life...in fact, in the past when I would set out on a plan of running before walking, I burned out quickly. My story is one of learning how to set achievable and personal goals rather than constantly comparing myself to others.”



Lesson for the day: My neighborhood is exactly 1 mile around, so when all else fails, the neighborhood is safe, out my door, predictable and great to time laps, walking on trash night/day stinks...literally...ewww, Isabelle is such an awesome encourager, walking at night has the horrible down side of totally energizing me...natural caffeine, 85 degrees at night still feels cooler than 78 degrees in the morning, JUST SHOW UP!!!!

Time: 8:45p - 10:00p
Temp: 85 degrees, after the storm, clear skies
Distance: 4.00 miles
Time: 1:09:33.67
Pace: 17:23.4/m
MPH: 3.45
15K estimate: 2h 42m
Half estimate: 3h 48m

No comments: