Monday, August 3, 2009

Lucky, lucky ME!!!! And blessed!

I applied on a very far whim a few weeks ago to get into the Heels & Hills Lucky 13 Race Team. You ask, "What is a Lucky 13 Race Team?"

The "Lucky 13" Run Team is filled with happy, friendly people who also happen to run or walk. They are ambassadors to show others Heels and Hills’ core vision, staying active in a fun and unintimidating atmosphere, with a friendly personality, warmness, and positive attitude! Run Team members receive select race entry fees paid, Heels and Hills Run Team tech shirt, additional Heels and Hills apparel at reduced cost, the pride of being part of a select group, and fun socializing with other runners and walkers.

What a huge, huge honor!!! And this is exactly the next step I needed in my path of this journey. I am so excited. We will have races we will be meeting at and events to show up to and talk about how much we love H&H!!! That should be easy. I can't speak enough of how much I love them. I truly believe Brandie, my training partner, and I are going to be an encouragement to those out there who need to take the first step of becoming active by walking rather than running. I think we do actually have an awesome place to encourage those to get active!!!

I ran/walked last 4th of July in a Fireworks 5K and seriously thought I was going to sit down on the side of the road and call my husband to come pick me up. Only problem was, I didn't have my cell phone, so I had to finish. Every one, I mean everyone, ran, and so I ran, and 5 minutes later, I never could catch my breath. I finished with an OK time, but I seriously thought I was going to die!!! After that experience, I never wanted to enter an event again.

Well, as I started to learn more about the H&H Half Marathon in September, this whole thing sort of evolved into this crazy new journey. I thought about calling it an obsession, but my experience has been that not - one - single - obsession has ever last me more than 4-6 weeks, and we are now going on week number 11 with about 8 to go. Well beyond an obsession at this point, and now a journey. And I can guarantee you that at 5:10 a.m. when I walked out the door with like 78 degrees and who knows what horrible humidity it was not an obsession, but a journey....ugh, I can't wait for October. But we really are very lucky to live in Texas and not have to worry about the low temps like many parts of the country do.

I just still can't believe I am on a Running Team. Un.....believable!!!! I am not only lucky, but also blessed.

As I said, got out at 5:10a this morning to see the sun come up. Started to go down the road that has no cars allowed, but quickly listened to my gut and took a regular neighborhood route. I am trying to see what my fall schedule will look like incorporating my training and have thrown around a few ideas about either training super early or after school before I pick up Izzy on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

After school is starting to look better, although I love the sense of accomplishment after doing it in the morning. But...according to my calculations, at my slowest pace, around 20:00/mile and 4 miles, that is about 1hr and 20 m, so I'd have to leave the house by 5:10a to get home by 6:30a in which I still need about 10 minutes to quit sweating and barely enough time to be ready to leave the house by 7:15a to drop Izzy at school by 7:50a (I think that is her school start time). So, I'd probably have to get up at 4:45a and leave the house by 5:00a which would get me home by 6:20a with a 10 min cool down.

Ughhhh...that is awfully early!!! I am more of a morning person now than ever, but ikes, that means I need to be asleep and eyes shut by um, 9p so in bed by 8:30p. Oh, wow...how life changes by 35. Most people who know me would have characterized me by up til 5a and asleep until 8p in my previous lifetime.

After school, I leave the building by 4:30p, get changed to my clothes by 4:40p, go park at Izzy's school where she has aftercare, then pick her up around 6:00p. Oh, that doesn't sound any better than the early morning option. But in the colder months it might sound more appealing due to the weather. Oh, well, I'll learn as I go as I have been learning with this weather.

Lesson for the day: Apply for a team, even if you think you are not worthy, trust your gut and don't go down abandoned roads in the dark, GPS and mapmyrun will always have a little variation, round to the nearest tenth of a mile, enjoy the journey, and be grateful it isn't an obsession, JUST SHOW UP!!!!

Time: 5:15a - 6:30a
Temp: 78 degrees, clear skies
Distance: 4.14 miles
Time: 1:16.06
Pace: 18:22.2/m
MPH: 3.27
15K estimate: 2h 51m
Half estimate: 4h 0.6m

No comments: